On Our Way To: Bucharest,Romania

Our trip to Romania this last month was amazing! 
I researched as much as I could about the city of Bucharest and kept reading that it wasn't child or family friendly. I was a little bummed to read that, but then at the last minute, I decided to pack up our stuff and join my husband on his business trip and make the most of this mini 7 day vacation. If it wasn't going to be ideal for me and my toddler, it would be a vacation with room service and an indoor pool and no cooking!! 

 Well, let me tell you, Bucharest did not disappoint and it is 100% family friendly. 


The locals were so friendly and I was impressed by how many spoke English, either fluently or enough to get by and communicate, and when I mean everyone, everyone, young and old. It was very refreshing and was a godsend when I was lost and needed help.
 Many of them thought I spoke Romanian and was just being lazy, I told them that I only knew a few words and I had the accent down pretty well from learning quite a few  words from my best friend who is Romanian. 



So, here are a few highlights of our trip:

 We stayed at the gorgeous, JW Marriott in Bucharest. For being a 5 star hotel, it was surprisingly affordable. 
I definitely recommend it. 
The breakfast buffet made this family very happy. The staff was so friendly and helpful when they saw me walk in with my big belly and crazy toddler. 


We spent about 5 hours at Cișmigiu Gardens and park, and if it wasn't for my tired pregnant self, my toddler could have spent the whole week here. This park was less than a 10 minute drive from the hotel we were staying at.
 I ended up walking back with the stroller, that's how close it was. This park and garden had swings, carousels,playgrounds, shaded walk ways, snack and ice cream stands and a cute little lake, where you could rent little paddle boats. 
 She was having so much fun, I have no idea how I got her to stop and eat lunch when she wanted to play non stop. I loved how many children were here to play on a weekday at 1pm.
We visited the Parliament building on our way to the park. I didn't get the chance to do the tour, so we explored the grounds instead. Will definitely check out the tour sans children next time 

This amazing  park can be found right across the street of the Parliament building, It is insanely huge. Vida ended up falling asleep when we arrived and a part of me was happy because I could have lost her in here. So while she napped, I had a little snack at a nearby cafe.

This library was so beautiful, we went inside and explored as much as I could before my toddler decided she had enough. 
Have your I.D ready to go when you enter, they had pretty tight security, it's also half a museum, I think this is why they check I.d's and bags. 
isn't this entrance stunning?
 Our very first Cat Cafe experience, 
I didn't know this was a thing. 
This cafe is in a very weird side of town, it looks sketchy at first, but once you go inside the gate, it is so adorable. The cafe had about 5 cats and all are up for adoption. You can stay, play and order some delicious food and drinks off their menu. We had a fruit smoothie and cuddled all the cats. Vida was in kitty heaven.
inside the cat cafe

On Saturday, since Anthony had the day off, we took a trip to Old Town.
 We walked through Pasajul Macca-Vilacrosse, it is a street covered by yellow glass.
 You can find cafes, bars, restaurants 
and hookah bars throughout.

 We stopped by this gorgeous Restaurant called "Hanul lui Manuc" and ate the most delicious, authentic Romanian food. It was so good, Vida loved her chicken soup and fresh bread. 
They had a live band playing and all seating is outdoors, you can sit in the courtyard, where we were, or up in the Inn terrace, it was so picturesque, I felt like I was in a fairy tale 

 
 My favorite Romanian soup, Ciorbă de perișoare
My husband was impressed on how I pronounced Romanian words. My best friend growing up was Romanian and her mom cooked all this food, I can literally say, I was raised eating romanian food. 

Watching the man roast fresh eggplant
After lunch we set out to find Emilia Creameria, the cutest ice cream shop I had ever seen on Instagram! So many flavors to choose from.
 You cannot go to Bucharest and not visit
 "Cărtureşti Carusel"
Also called “The Carousel of Light” bookstore.
 This place will take your breath away, it has 6 floors full of books and at the very top a bright and airy cafe. I would have loved to get lost in a book while drinking a cappunchino in that cafe. 


my girl was in book heaven


and no trip is complete in our books until we eat some delicious pastries. 
This pastry shop was right across the street from the hotel it was called "Ana Pan"
and everything was delicious, especially the chocolate eclairs. 
I went back for more everyday that  they knew us by name by the end of the week.  



 Overall this trip was perfect, we had so much fun exploring the wonderful city of Bucharest. 
We ate so much delicious food, I really want to go back soon just to eat again. 


 wish we had more time to go exploring outside the city but being so pregnant, and with Anthony pretty much working the whole time, it wasn't doable. 


We hope to go back again, but as a real vacation and explore Dracula's Castle and other parts of Romania, like the countryside.
 My last piece of advice, don't pass up this city, you have to go visit Bucharest and take in all the beauty this place has to offer, she has her rough edges from so much turmoil from the past, but it really is a family friendly place, I felt so safe walking everywhere alone with my toddler and again, the locals were just the kindest people I have met. 

Until next time, Paris of the East...




Comments

Popular Posts