Post-Partum Shake

What is postpartum depression?

Postpartum depression is a serious illness that can occur in the first few months after childbirth.Postpartum depression can make you feel very sad, hopeless, and worthless. You may have trouble caring for and bonding with your baby.

 How is it treated?

Postpartum depression is treated with counseling and antidepressant medicines. Women with milder depression may be able to get better with counseling alone. But many women need counseling and medicine. Some antidepressants are thought to be safe for women who breast-feed.
To help yourself get better, make sure you eat well, get some exercise every day, and get as much sleep as possible. Seek support from family and friends if you can.
Try not to feel bad about yourself for having this illness. It doesn't mean you're a bad mother. Many women have postpartum depression. It may take time, but you can get better with treatment.

 Placenta Smoothie?

Many women I spoke to believed the placenta helped them with post partum depression,losing the baby weight and having their milk come in fairly quickly. I did some research and was very interested, the placenta looked gross online and I couldn't even imagine eating something like that, but there are many forms to take it, either by encapsulation or a placenta smoothie, blend it all up in there with your veggies and fruit. The more I read about it the more I understood what it was that was helping these moms. 
The placenta is full of so many vitamins and minerals...it did give life to our babies after all. I thought to myself how can I get these same benefits without having to eat the placenta?  Then it occurred to me...green shakes and smoothies.

I've been drinking green smoothies/shakes for about a year now...it has changed my life for the better. I was able to cleanse my body before becoming pregnant to avoid getting morning sickness (it did work) and to lose a little weight(I wanted to lose 5 pounds I lost 17). 
These shakes cleared my skin,made my hair shine and gave me energy...and no crash later like caffeine does. So I told my husband to bring the Magic Bullet to the hospital so I could drink my shake after our baby was born.
he made me two shakes twice a day and I continued to drink one or two a week when we went home. I didn't feel any baby blues or at all depressed,I lost all the baby weight in less than a week. I felt happy and healthy :)

 You lose so much blood after giving birth, of course you are going to feel ill, weak and maybe even a little sad,I would,that keeps me alive. That is why taking in iron rich food is so important right after giving birth, unfortunately hospital food isn't iron rich, among other things. That is why I had my husband prepare the fresh shake right away. The placenta on the other hand has so much iron it's crazy!!!

Below you will find a recipe chart with all the ingredients I used for my Post-Postpartum Shake. Next to the ingredients I added their health benefits. Feel free to make these even if you are not pregnant or just gave birth...these shakes can lead you to live a healthy lifestyle and they taste delicious too.
There isn't enough research that proves eating your placenta helps with post-postpartum depression,but there is more than enough research proving the benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you did eat your placenta you are amazing!!!...I personally think it does work, it is amazing...it did so much for the baby why wouldn't it not work for the mom? I just couldn't, after looking at it when it came out of me it grossed me out it was just all bloody...I rather eat a steak! I did after my baby was born, my husband went home and made me a huge grass fed steak and brought it back to the hospital so I could eat it. That was amazing!!

This is just the recipe I follow...feel free to get creative and add any kind of fruit and veggie :)

Enjoy!








1. Bananas-  help overcome depression due high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin -the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter, strengthens your blood and relieves anemia, improves your mood and reduce PMS symptoms. <---say what!!

2. Chia Seed-great source of protein,fights belly fat,Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the DRI for calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese. These nutrients help you prevent hypertension and maintain a healthy weight, and are important for energy metabolism and a part of DNA synthesis. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease.

3. Kale- high in iron,low in fat,anti-inflammatory, per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism. Vitamin C is also helpful to maintain cartilage and joint flexibility. 

4. Flax-seeds- good source of magnesium,contain high levels of lignans that protect against breast cancer.

5. Honey- contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease, the natural sugars in honey provide a healthy source of calories and energy.

6. Spinach- Besides iron, spinach has folic acid too that makes you feel better. 
Folic acid improves the health of red blood cells and your immunity, protecting you from diseases that soak out your happiness, vitamin B improves cerebral activity, helps in maintaining the firmness of the skin and controls insomnia. (The list just goes on and on this super food is amazing)

7. Berries-  Blackberries/Raspberries- good source of folate, a B vitamin that helps maintain healthy hair and may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and mood disorders. Blueberries-contain potent antioxidants that can help with arthritis, age-related memory loss, and cataracts and other eyesight problems. Strawberries-great fruit to eat if you’re trying to lose weight, lower cholesterol or manage type 2 diabetes. They are a good source of folate.

 Isn't amazing how these foods are found in nature? Look at all they do,how much they can help, yet the world depends on medication. :( so sad. I hope you try this recipe out!!! It will change your life...it will make you feel healthy and happy! 

Shake 
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup kale
1 banana
2tbs chia seeds
1tbs flax seeds
1 cup berries (or more) fresh or frozen
1tbs honey

blend spinach and kale with half cup water first.
add seeds and blend, add berries,banana and honey.
Blend until smooth enjoy! You can add ice to make this drink frothy and more
smoothie like. 

Bottoms up! :)


*Talk to your doctor before trying something new or that you are unsure of, just to be safe*

Comments

Popular Posts